Nov 19, 2008

I didn't know..

That pirates still existed...or at least that they were still called "pirates".


"The Sirius Star was hijacked by pirates over 800 kilometers off the coast of Kenya on Saturday. The ship, the largest ever seized by pirates, is carrying two million barrels of crude oil and a crew of 25."


"Pirates generally seek a ransom of around $1 million for captured ships..." <-- I didn't know that either. And they still use the skull and crossbones symbol? -->

Good news: "In a rare sign of success in the fight against piracy, an Indian naval vessel on Tuesday sunk a pirate 'mother ship'"

http://voanews.com/english/2008-11-19-voa37.cfm

4 comments:

Bethany said...

funny, i heard this story on CNN at the gym this morning. I came home and said to Tyson, "did you know there are still pirates?" he said, "oh yeah, in the Indian ocean? I don't think they say 'argh' anymore though." true.

Morgan said...

hahaha. they should! and they should wear patches too.

Dasdel said...

I've been watching this story too. Crazy, but yes pirates are a big problem in those oceans. I heard something about pirates awhile ago and was surprised by the term pirate being used by the media, but I guess thats what they are.

Sarah said...

O great another thing for me to fear...