Jan 24, 2009

La Musica de mi Vida...

So my mom recently posted about music that has held defining moments in her life. See her post HERE.

Of course I had to follow suit... I can't pick just one either so here are a few of my defining songs/albums

I distinctly remember listening to the song "Wrong Way" on my bedroom floor in our house on Martha's Vineyard (In Ventura). I'm guessing I was 9 or 10. I dont know if I had the tape or what but I would listen to it on my "My First Stereo" and I would turn the volume down really fast when it said damn and I would say "drunk-butt dad" instead. hahahah. I still love Sublime to this day. Obviously my parents had a huge influence on the music I love, luckily they have good taste :)

I think Tragic Kingdom is one of my all time favorite albums. I remember listening to "Spiderwebs" in our car when we lived in Pasadena. I think it was probably one of my first CDs I ever owned. Gwen Stefani was my idol as a little kid. I still like her but not as much since she's done the solo thing. My best friends in 4th grade and I would sing along to this cd probably every time we played after school. I think its funny that both the last two bands are from Long Beach....weird. Haha.

I wish I could explain why I love this song so much but I cant...Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners. A one hit wonder... This easily my most favorite song of ALL TIME. I think the first time I fell in love with it was at this dance event at Channel Islands High School. They had the best dance team I'd ever seen, and their final routine was to this song. One of the guys broke his leg during the show and they dragged him to the side and the rest kept going. Sounds sad, but it was just an amazing performance. After that I downloaded the song and of course also downloaded No Doubt's version of it (probably another reason I love it). This song just makes me happy. Every. Time.

"Roots Radical" and "Time Bomb" by Rancid are the songs that helped me discover my love for punk rock. My favorite genre... Thanks to my dad and my good friend Damon. Two of my very favorite angry red-heads. :)

I stole this tape, Beastie Boys: Licensed to Ill, from my uncle Tyson and I played it so much that it stretched out and pulled out of the cassette. I was so scared that my uncle would be mad that I hid it in my room for YEARS. My whole family loves the beastie boys. When I think of my childhood, Beastie Boys is the soundtrack (and Bob Marley). I cant even begin to list the memories I have while a Beastie Boys song was playing.

I think if I had to choose any medium of defining myself, it would most definitely be my music. Thanks mom for inspiring a good post :)

2 comments:

Bethany said...

i LOVE that sublime album and know every word to every song on that album. we listened to it a lot when i worked at Great Harvest. i have been thinking about your mom's post so much wondering what my choices would be. i'm still not sure. it is fun to see what you guys like.

i remember when "don't speak" was so popular. i was a junior in high school and i loved that song. that was my first exposure to Gwen. I still like her. and who doesn't like the beastie boys?

Dasdel said...

NIcely done! So funny because in my rough draft I listed Beastie Boys after Run DMC and ten changed it.
beastie boys can always put me in a good mood.
Its funny that you have Sublime and No Doubt. we had both those albums while I was USC and we listened to them A LOT! I knew which songs to skip on sublime and when to turn it down to edit the cuss words. The only problem with that logic is as you got older and listened to it on your own there was no mother there to edit. Anyway great music choices.