Apr 1, 2009

Those Greeks really did know drama..

So I'm taking Greek mythology as you may know.. and I have a paper to write by tomorrow afternoon. Its about the role of Teiresias in the play Oedipus the King by Sophocles. I'm sure this post isnt very interesting thus far but I had to share this quote.

So Oedipus has just discovered that the prophecy about him killing his father and "laying" with him mother has come true. And as he is requesting to be cast out of the city to end the curse, he says this as a goodbye message to his daughters:

"'Your father killed his father and sowed seed where he had sprung himself and begot you out of the womb that held him.' These insults you will hear. Then who will marry you? No one, my children; clearly you are doomed to waste away in barrenness unmarried."

Umm, talk about raw drama! I dont know why this was so entertaining to me. Sick and twisted stuff here. Fun to share. Hope you're enjoying your evening as much as I am! ;)

3 comments:

Natalie said...

i vomitted in my mouth when you were reading that crap outloud to me

Dasdel said...

Twisted and sick is right...
Thats BYU approved? haha j/k :)

Bethany said...

all that greek mythology stuff is so weird. i remember reading this story in high school. bleck. i just don't care for mythology. never have. i like real life.